Formerly used to produce and store gas, the site was decommissioned approximately 10 years ago. All gasholders have since been dismantled and built structures demolished.
St William have now submitted a planning application to the East Hertfordshire District Council, to redevelop the former Hertford Gasworks, Marshgate Drive. The proposals currently include:
· 383 Much needed new homes to help meet local needs
· High quality architecture and landscaping
· New walking, running and cycling routes
· Enhancements to the towpath and River Lea Navigation
· New public open space and recreation areas
· Flexible employment space to support the local economy
· Sustainable Urban Drainage Systems
· New car club spaces and electric charging points
About the Site
The former Hertford Gasworks off Marshgate Drive presents a rare opportunity for new high quality homes and employment space to be delivered on a sustainably located brownfield site.
The former Gasworks is largely vacant and is not publicly accessible. The site is located adjacent to a mixture of residential homes and employment uses and is currently accessed directly from Marshgate Drive. A canalised section of the River Lea and an associated towpath bind the site to the north.
The Gasworks, along with the Norbury Fencing site, is included within the emerging District Plan as an allocated site for mixed-use development. This is set out in policy HERT2 which extends to cover 10.35 acres.